Helmke Library is moving closer to the launch of our new library catalog and search system! Here are a few things to know:
- IUCAT and Express Search will be available until the end of Summer I (June 23). Our new, enhanced Library Search will be the best way to access our collections starting in Summer II.
- During the transition of our systems, access to individual library account information will not be available online. Beginning Thursday, May 24, please call the Helmke Library Service Desk at 260-481-6505 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about your loans, due dates, or fines.
As always, your Helmke Library librarians and staff are ready to help you access information and resources throughout the summer! Contact us online, be in touch with your librarian, or visit us in person Monday-Thursday from 8 AM until 7 PM or Fridays from 8 AM until 5 PM.
Class of 2018, it has been our pleasure to work with you throughout your college career.
We wish you all the best today and always!
From all of us at Helmke Library
As Helmke Library transitions to Purdue, we are making every effort to minimize changes while summer classes are in session. If you are planning to teach a summer course that incorporates library resources, here are a few things you should know:
- Express Search and the IUCAT catalog will remain available throughout Summer I, but will be retired from the library’s website before Summer II begins.
- For Summer II, our new catalog and Library Search will fully replace the functionality of Express Search and IUCAT.
- The Database A-Z list will remain the same, and our Library Search will also feature a new A-Z journal list.
- The URL for all Subject and Course guides will change to the “PFW” domain on May 7, before Summer I begins. This means that any link to guides.library.ipfw.edu will become guides.library.pfw.edu. Please update any guide links in your syllabi or Blackboard courses. Old links will be redirected to the new system, but updating your content will provide our students with a smoother transition. This change will not affect the library’s homepage.
- If you use a subject or course guide for your summer classes, please contact your librarian. We will be updating guides throughout the summer, and we will prioritize guides in active use by summer courses.
- Course reserves may be requested through the usual link for both Summer I and Summer II. Reserves will be listed in IUCAT for Summer I and in our new Library Search for Summer II.
If you have questions about these changes or how this will affect your courses, please contact your librarian, email@example.com, or Alexis Macklin, Dean of Helmke Library.
The library will be open extended hours during study week and finals week! We are grateful for IPSGA for their support. Here’s the schedule:
- Open 8 AM until 2 AM from Monday, April 23 through Saturday April 28
- Open 24 hours from 8 AM Sunday, April 29 through 6 PM Friday, May 4
- Open 8:30 AM – 12:30 PM on Saturday, May 5
- Closed Sunday, May 6
We’re pleased to offer coffee and snacks during finals week, as well! Join us Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 5-8PM in the Learning Commons.
What happens when you apply computational methods and analysis to research questions in literature, history, philosophy, and other humanities fields?
Join Helmke Library next Tuesday as we kick off an exploration into Digital Humanities with a presentation by Dr. Troy Bassett, Associate Professor of English.
Bassett will survey a sample of projects, showing the wide range of subjects, formats, and purposes that digital humanities encompasses, and the ways in which these methods can enhance projects, research and teaching.
What: An Introduction to Digital Humanities
Where: Helmke Library media wall (2nd floor)
When: Tuesday, April 24 from Noon – 1 PM
This presentation will be the first in a series of events, continuing in Fall 2018, centered on digital humanities. Questions? Contact Erika Mann at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reminder: Helmke Library will be closed Sunday, April 1.
It’s been a busy spring semester at Helmke Library! Here are a couple highlights we’re particularly proud of!
The 21st Annual Student Research and Creative Endeavor Symposium was a fantastic success!
This year more than 100 students shared their research at the symposium, and six teams won cash prizes for their stellar projects and presentations. Congratulations to all of our participants! Find more images from the Symposium on Facebook.
The library is celebrating Women’s History with a display of works by and about some of our favorite influential women. Stop by the library’s first floor to check out the display or to borrow any featured books!
Keep up with Helmke Library every day on Facebook!
Helmke Library will be open during spring break, but with reduced hours as follows:
- Saturday and Sunday, March 3-4: Closed
- Monday – Friday, March 5-9: Open 8AM – 5PM
- Saturday and Sunday, March 10-11: Closed
We hope you enjoy your break!
Looking for things to read? Book orders for the rest of the semester are due BEFORE break, but consider picking up The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie, the first title in our new book club!
Interested in reading more for fun this year? Join our new book club and unravel a few of the library-themed mysteries we have selected for the semester.
Our first book is The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie & we’ll be discussing the book on March 28th at noon in Library Room 112.
Our April selection will be Murder Past Due by Miranda James.
A few copies of each title will be available soon at the first floor Helmke Library service desk. The copies will be available on a first-come first-serve basis for a limited checkout period.
Questions? Please contact Shannon Johnson (email@example.com) or Sarah Wagner (firstname.lastname@example.org). You can also check out our webpage for more information.
Helmke Library needs your help!
As part of the ongoing campus transition, all books that are owned by other IU libraries must be returned by March 2nd – that’s the FRIDAY BEFORE SPRING BREAK!
If you haven’t already, please check your account to see if you have books owned by libraries other than Helmke Library:
- Log in to IUCAT and select “My Account.”
- Look for the library name and due date for each item.
As a reminder, we will happily offer to exchange your borrowed copy for a new Helmke-owned copy whenever possible. If you need any replacement books or if you have any other book requests for the rest of spring or summer, please contact your librarian ASAP. ALL book orders must be completed by March 2nd! Items requested for purchase after March 2 may be delayed until mid-summer when our new library system is up and running.
As always, we’re committed to making sure that you have the resources you need throughout the transition process. Reserves, Document Delivery, and loans from the Helmke Library collection will remain available throughout our transition.
Questions? Ask a librarian, email email@example.com, or contact Alexis Macklin, Dean of Helmke Library.
Go down the rabbit hole with your friendly librarians this Valentine’s Day! We’ll be hosting an Alice in Wonderland Tea Party this Wednesday, February 14. Tea, snacks, and good company will abound. Everyone is welcome to join us! The fun and frivolity will begin at 2 PM on the library’s first floor. Join us!
Questions? Please contact Shannon Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Sarah Wagner (email@example.com).